This is the Newsletter shared on the 27th of April. If you wish to receive newsletter faster, you can subscribe here: https://itnig.net/
Dear tech enthusiast,
Hungry for some news? We’ve got you covered!
One of the biggest recent success stories in Europe is undeniably the money transfer startup Transferwise. The company has recently announced a $292 million in secondary share sale which won’t bring fresh money but will make some of their initial shareholders and employees pretty happy. Reports claim that this round has made 33 new millionaires. We might be seeing a wave of great Estonian startups coming up soon!
Last week was also very positive for the cloud-based identity platform for developers Auth0 as they raised $103 million to become a unicorn. And we lost the count. Unicorns don’t seem to be so rare in recent times and some start to question if the real unicorns are actually the profitable startups (like Transferwise seems to be).
– itnig’s team
Podcast #90: Serial executive and entrepreneur, Vicens Martí
In this week’s episode, Bernat Farrero (CEO @itnig) and Juan Rodriguez (CEO @camaloon) discuss the life of Vicens Martí, entrepreneur and executive of many companies.
Vicens defines himself as sector agnostic, he thinks that business is business and there is no such thing as “this industry is different”. After being an entrepreneur in the hospitality industry, playing different roles at Cirsa, AMC and Port Aventura, he went on to become one of the initial executives who started Vueling and brought it to the IPO. He learnt a lot from this process and specially from its founder Carlos Muñoz.
After a short period as CEO of the family-owned Custo Barcelona, he then was convinced by Carlos Blanco to lead Akamon and accepted the challenge for 5 years until he brought it to the 28M$ exit to a Canadian company. He keeps involved as the CEO of the acquiring company, then renamed to Tangelo Games.
Vicens thinks he can play a crucial role and “bring agency” to the places where he gets involved and have a rich personal life at the same time. He is now President at El Row, which makes over 30M€ and 5M in EBITDA by organizing electronic music shows. He especially enjoys this sector as he is a big fan of electronic music. As a bonus, he tells us the experience of participating in the Burning man annual festival.
- New funding for startups
On-demand food delivery startup DoorDash raises $600 million, and now the company is worth $12.6 billion
- Money transfer startup TransferWise gets $292 million in secondary share sale making 33 new millionaires
- The Beijing-based online travel startup Mafengwo raises $250 million for online travel
- Cloud-based identity platform for developers Auth0 is raising $103 million to become a unicorn
- London-based social impact fintech startup Wagestream raises €46 million for its service to end payday poverty
UK-based enterprise decision-making
- Platform PROWLER.io raises €21.5 million Series B round at €90 million valuation
- Finnish PropTech startup Kodit.io raises €12 million gives homeowners a stress-free way to quickly sell their homes for a fair price
- Hamburg-based BIO-LUTIONS raises €8.3 million from Delivery Hero for its ecological alternatives to single-use plastics
- French startup Dawex raises €5 million to accelerate the development of the Data Economy
- Intelligent mobility startup Immense Simulations raises €4.1 million in Series A funding
- Barcelona-based startup Ona Therapeutics raises €1,5 million developing an anti-metastasic medicine
- The crediting startup Nemuru raises €1 million to increase its technological systems
- Tiller Systems acquires the restaurant AI software Beesniss
Random tech news
- Nearly 90,000 developers answered this survey from Stackoverflow.
- Huawei has trademarked its ‘Hongmeng’ operating system.How fragmented is Android?
- Visual evolution of EV sales from 2012.
- Deutsche Bank Says Software to Detect Money Laundering Had a Bug.
- This self-made millionaire invented a ‘gun’ that shoots salt at flies.
- How to avoid traffic jams, by The Boring Company.
- Samsung’s AI generates talking deepfakes from a single image.
Product of the week
Google has promised to change the gaming market with its Google Stadia a game console that allows you to play games running them on the cloud. In summer they will release prices, games and launch info!
Work with us
- At Camaloon, we are looking for a Junior Sales Development Representative for the Dutch market.
- At Quipu, we are looking for an accountant and tax advisor.
At Factorial, we are looking for developers.
- At Itnig, we are looking for a media intern.
Find out about more vacancies at itnig.net/jobs.